B.SC. in Medical Lab Technology
Medical Laboratory Professionals also referred to as a Medical Laboratory Technologists are the healthcare professionals who play the key role in a range of areas of clinical laboratories including blood banking, clinical bio-chemistry, haematology, immunology, histopathology and medical microbiology. They facilitate a full range of laboratory tests – from simple prenatal blood tests, to more complex tests to reveal diseases such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, cancer and so on. In today‘s technology-dependant health care, diagnosis, treatment & prognosis of various diseases is majorly based on the results of investigations carried out in a clinical laboratory. Thus, these professionals play an integral part in the field of health care and have huge job opportunities.
BSC in Medical Lab Technology at SIMT:
Students pursuing BSC in Medical Lab Technology (BMLT) at SIMT will be imparted with knowledge and skills to perform routine as well as sophisticated laboratory diagnostic procedures. Three years of BMLT study at SIMT would comprise of
- Class room teaching: Principles, procedures, interpretation for routine and advanced clinical laboratory investigations will be taught by qualified subject specialists.
- Training in well equipped in-house laboratory: students will be incorporated with technical skills to proficiently perform a wide range of clinical laboratory tests at the in-house laboratory of SIMT
- Visits to different pathology laboratory: Periodical visit to different pathology laboratories will be organized
- Conferences and works shops: Conferences and workshops would be conducted byeminent professional from the industry to enhance the knowledge and skills of the students
- Internship: In the last six months of study, students will be placed to various pathology labs wherein they will experience practical training in patient-handling, collection, processing and analyzing of blood, urine, sputum stool and other body fluids samples.
- Projects: Students will be encouraged taking up projects on various relevant areas throughout the three years of study.
Career Anchoring Platforms:
- IIT Bombay Remote Centre
- Active Local Chapter of NPTEL
- IIT Bombay Spoken Tutorial Nodal Centre
- Nodal Center of MAKAUT, Kolkata
Class 12 passed or appeared in science stream with mathematics and/or biology
3 years full time
Career Outcome :
Medical Laboratory professionals have enormous career prospects. The demand for Medical Laboratory professionals in India has amplified in recent years and will keep on increasing due to emerging health conditions. After completion of this three year course these students may opt for any of the followings
- Placements: They will be employed in hospitals and private laboratories, pharmaceutical firms, blood donation centres.
- Higher Education: They can pursue higher education such as Masters and PhD in MLT.
- Research and innovation: A career in research, following completion of a higher degree such as Masters or PhD in MLT is an option that can be chosen by these professionals. An experienced medical lab technologist may also proceed in the field of developing new methods of analysis and research.
- Entrepreneur: They can establish an independent laboratory.