Bachelor in Optometry
According to the definition of World Council of Optometry (WCO), an organization that represents optometrists worldwide, “optometrists are the primary healthcare practitioners of the eye and visual system who provide comprehensive eye and vision care, which includes refraction and dispensing, detection/diagnosis and management of disease in the eye, and the rehabilitation of conditions of the visual system”.
While, an estimated 456 million people in India require vision correction (spectacles, contact lenses or refractive surgery) to be able to see and function, the demand for optometrists is very high and is expected to rise further in the coming years. With enormous job opportunities in India and abroad, Optometry has come out as a lucrative carrier option through which financial growth, social respect, and professional satisfaction can be achieved.
Bachelor in Optometry and Vision Science at SKFGI:
The students in the Bachelor of Optometry program at SKFGI would be exposed to a very specialized environment of learning which is based on well equipped class rooms, laboratories on optics and clinical diagnosis. In total four years of optometry trainings, the initial three years would comprise of class room teaching, lab oriented training, hand-on with optometry instruments, observation of real case studies, industrial visits, conferences and works shops. To increase the quality of diagnosis of the students, an in-house optometry clinic has been set where variety of optometry specialties including comprehensive eye care, contact lens, low vision rehabilitation, binocular vision can be practiced. In the final year of training, the student would be placed at tertiary eye care hospitals for clinical internship. Furthermore, students would be given opportunity to understand and participate in vision researches under the guidance of experienced mentors, competent in optometry and ophthalmology researches. Thus, an alumnus of SKFGI- Optometry, would not only be academically and clinically competent, but would also possess strong understanding of vision researches.
Career Anchoring Platforms:
- IIT Bombay Remote Centre
- Active Local Chapter of NPTEL
- IIT Bombay Spoken Tutorial Nodal Centre
- Nodal Center of MAKAUT, Kolkata
Class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Mathematics
Experiential Learning Platforms:
- Teaching Pedagogy: The teaching pedagogy of optometry programme at SKFGI has been designed to facilitate the students with more exposure to real time case based learning in optometry. Clinical problem solving along with critical thinking skills would be imparted to the optometry students of the institute so that students would learn to integrate their knowledge, scientific advances, and the human/social dimensions of patient care into their practice. Furthermore, a concept of evidence based optometry practice would be introduced to the students through periodical discussion on optometry researches. Students would learn to use information/research to maximize patient care.
- Optometry and Community services: The students would be engaged in community eye care services through periodical eye camps. Different eye screening camps including school screening, industrial screening, and rural eye camps would be conducted to maximize the community exposure.
- Industry Expertise: Eminent professional from eye hospitals, optical sectors, vision product & contact lens industry would hold session with students on the latest trends and best practices in eye and vision care industry.
- Optometry and Vision research: Besides, students would be given opportunity to participate in vision researches. They would be encouraged to attend and contribute in scientific seminars and conferences.
- Hospital Internships: : The students would be undergoing clinical Internship in tertiary eye care hospitals where in they would learn managing patients with various visual disorders and would be able to practice different sub specialties of optometry under supervision of experienced optometrists.
Career Outcome: The ability and the mindset to continuously update and innovate facilitate students with:
- Entrepreneur: They can establish an independent Optometry practice by starting their own eye clinic, optical shop.
- Placements: They can work in eye hospitals, eye care organizations, optical chains, vision care industries, contact lens companies. Optometrists can also seek employment with any multinational organization dealing with eye care.
- Higher Education:They can pursue higher education such as Masters in optometry, M.Phil and PhD in Optometry and vision sciences.